Thursday, February 19, 2009

A lot longer up-date

Well... Dallas has a test 'till late tonight so I am bored and I decided to document Hyrum's surgery happenings before I forget. Unfortunately, I still can't put pictures up, so that will come another day. SO! Monday we drove to SLC and for dinner we met a few friends at my favorite place....Chinese Gormet (buffet!) Hyrum was allowed to eat up 'till midnight, but really 8pm was the last he had anything to eat. We got up and went over to PCMC and checked-in at 7:15am. Hyrum loved the toys and didn't ask for food or water! I was amazed! He didn't go in for surgery until 10:00am. This is the child that tells me all day long with his pitiful voice, "i'm hungry". So, we get his little physical and head to the post-op waiting room, where hyrum found and became attached to a dinasaur toy. The surgery before us went over and they didn't know when they'd be out, so we weren't able to give him his sedative orally because that takes 20min to kick in. instead he was given the same medacine through his nose! 2 syringes full of that stuff. They said it stings and doesn't taste good, but it works in about 5 minutes. About 10min before our time for surgery, hyrum fell and we think he hit his head. Neither of us saw it, we just heard the thud and his crying. We weren't too concerned because this is a frequent at our house. BUT, the nurses freaked out and had us move to a diff area to check his vitals. One of the nurses said his forehead was getting a big goose egg, so i looked and i had to say, "no...he just has a protruding forehead. it always looks like that." ha! anyway, i guess it was a big deal 'cause they weren't going to do the surgery if he had any goose eggs. That's what they get for having a slippery floor and putting too big of socks on my child! ;o) Anyway, so soon after that the surgeon came out and talked to us and then they gave hyrum his sedative. He was pretty giggly and mellowed out really fast. We took him to the "see ya later" door and handed him over to the anesthesiologist (i hate that part). 2 hours later I went to the post-op area to be there when Hyrum was waking up. When I got to him he was sitting up and the nurse asked me to support him 'cause he refused to lay down. he wasn't crying...just staring into space. i finally got him to lay down and he fell asleep. The surgeon numbed the areas he worked on, so hyrum didn't feel any pain...didn't even get morphine this time! He didn't cry until that stuff wore off. We gave him tylenol with codeine once and from then on we rotated normal tylenol and IBU profin. I don't like the codeine stuff 'cause it plugs them up, makes them sleepy, and decreases their appetite. All reasons that would keep us in the hospital! So, he's been great with the normal stuff.His IV wasn't hooking up right once we got to his room, so the nurse asked if he would drink some water...well...he said yes and had 2 cups of water and 3 things of juice. The nurse asked me to slow him down because she didn't want him to throw up. Out came the IV...i love it when they do that. He actually ate really good too...applesauce, pudding, tomato soup, and yogurt. it was really nice to not have to worry about him not eating or drinking! By the end of the night he had licked most of the stitches loose in his lip. i asked the nurse if that was a problem and she said really there was nothing we could do to stop him. I'm pretty sure all the stitches are gone now..they were supposed to last 3 weeks. ;o( I decided that revisions really should wait until they are older and can understand..."don't lick your stitches!!" Hyrum actually slept good that night,despite the noise and lights! His room had a big glass door/wall that a curtain was pulled across, but let me tell you! it was hard to sleep through the noise of the nurses and the light in the hall. He woke up a few times, but the nurse took his vitals and i gave him his medacine (i requested this, because he takes it really easily from me) and he was out again. At his other surgeries we would have to hold him and rock him back to sleep...much more work then. The only problem was he decided that 4:30am was time to get up!!! By 5:30am he was skipping the halls and i thought, "it's time to go home!" I waited because i couldn't order breakfast for him 'till 7 and we were also waiting for Dallas to get there. He slept at the Ronald McDonald house because he was going to be driving and also going to classes Wed. I finally called him at a quarter to 8 because hyrum was laying in the hall playing with toys...apparently his room wasn't big enough. We got home, home at about 2 and i put the kids and myself down for a nap!! Things have been good since then. It's a bit stressful trying to keep him from putting things in his mouth, but we're making it work! And keeping Brayden from hitting hyrum or pushing him...those two are always fighting! i love it when they make eachother laugh...but they drive me crazy going back and forth with the pushing and hitting. ya know?!! BOYS!!! I REALLY WANT A GIRL ;o) *sigh*

5 comments:

Catherine said...

You are such brave parents! I admire what you and Dallas have had to go through with these surgeries. I'm glad Hyrum did so well this time! I bet you're SO relieved it's over!

Court said...

I'm so happy that you had a good experience and that everything went well. Do you know if you're having a boy or girl yet?

Gallant Family said...

I'm glad you guys are back and that things went well. So, you ARE finding out what you'll be having??? That is exciting. I'll have to check back on the 5th {is that right?} to see!

Mike and Christina Jenson said...

What a crazy time! I'm sorry that we weren't able to see you. I really wanted Chinese! :-) I hope everything heals nicely for him. Good luck!

Michelle said...

I'm glad that everything went smoothly with the operation and with you both. I hope his recovery went well too! And wow girl, today is the day you find out right? I'll have to keep looking back for updates. So exciting. Isn't it nice to know you're half way through now? I love it. We'll keep our fingers crossed that baby is cooperative at the ultrasound. :)